This scarecrow story is becoming one of our family's favorites! For those unfamiliar with the book... a little old lady is returning home only to find parts of a scarecrow following her! It's darling! One of my favorite sites, Making Learning Fun, has a whole section on teaching ideas for this fun Halloween story. We especially like the story figures which work great for flannel boards or as a retelling tool. (The word tool sounds so workish!)
I thought it would be fun to compile a list of other great scarecrow activities!
- darling scarecrow popsicle stick art project from Apples 4 The Teacher
- paper bag scarecrow craft from All Kids Network... I think it would be fun to sneak some treats into the bag and use as a Thanksgiving Day party favor
- delightful scarecrow wall hanging from Sweet Dream Patterns (OK, this is more a mommy craft... but it's so cute I had to include it! The whole site is ADORABLE!!! Now, if only I could sew....)
- scrumptious scarecrow cupcakes from The Party Animal
- the scarecrow's hat props retell activity from My Montessori Journey
- cute felt scarecrow game from Let's Explore
- yummy scarecrow cookies that kid's can help make from Family Fun
- veggie scarecrow from The National Wildlife Federation. This is super healthy!
- scarecrow dot-to-dot
- scarecrow theme unit from Teaching Heart... the site includes fun activities as well as free downloads (wahoo!)
- scarecrow theme printables from Making Learning Fun (and this is the site that has the printable from The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything... this site is an incredible resource!)
Happy Teaching! And YAY for Fall!